Wednesday, June 22, 2011

700 or so to go...

Meaning, I have 700 or so cranes to go.  Cranes, you ask?  Yes, I am folding 1001 cranes to be displayed at our wedding reception.  Folding 1001 cranes is a local Hawaii tradition for weddings.  I decided to make cranes since I LOVE the framing of the actual cranes and think it's something special from your wedding that you can display in your house.

While I was back in Hawaii in March, I bought 11 packs of 100 sheets of double sided gold 3x3 origami paper.  I oppted for the double sided gold paper since I'm not an expert at folding cranes so I need all the help I can get.  After folding over 300 of these little cranes, I have to say I am getting better. There are some that aren't perfect, but its okay those can go on the bottom.  I try to fold 10 a night but that doesn't always happen.  Good thing, I have about 7 more months finish since most vendors need 6 months to do the design and framing.

For those wondering how these cranes are going to be framed, here are a couple examples:

Typically, couples frame their cranes into their family mon which is Japanese and we don't really have one.  Or some make the cranes into the Japanese/Chinese character of their last name which doesn't really work for us since our last name will be Libby. ;) So we will pick another design similar to the second one.

Here are a few pictures of my work in progess....
The gold paper
Finished cranes!
 My container full of cranes
My guess is there is a a little over a hundred in there, the first two hundred are in a safe place in my room. 


No comments:

Post a Comment